The history of the cell phone consists of plenty of feats but after an enormous amount of trial and error, it’s safe to say smartphones are here to stay. They make our lives a lot easier and give us access to almost anything at the palm of our hand. We’re going to talk about a few interesting facts you may have not known about mobile phones.
- The most expensive phone is worth $15.3 million dollars: Apple has the most expensive smartphone for sale which is a beautiful black-diamond-coated iPhone worth a cool 15.3 million.
- The first cellphone call was made in 1973: Martin Cooper called Dr. Joel Engel in 1973 which would be the first mobile phone call made in history. The call was made by using a Motorola Dyan TAC which was the first mobile phone ever created.
- IBM made the first smartphone in 1994: It was referred to by the code name “Simon Personal Communicator”.
- The first cell phone weighed 2.4 lbs: The first cell phone in history weighed a hefty 2.4 lbs. To put this into context, the iPhone 6 weighs 0.24 lbs.
- In 2012, 37.4 Million iPhones were sold: Apple is one of the most successful tech firms in history and the iPhone is one of their most successful products.
- Trillions of messages: The world sent 9 trillion messages in 2013 alone. This amounts to 1,200 text messages a person on Earth each year and this number is thought to have increased since 2013.
As you can see there is a pretty interesting history of the cell phone. The way we use cell phones continues to change as technology becomes more advanced. We depend on our cell phones to stay organized, shop, send emails, and so much more. We’re excited to see what the future holds for the fate of cell phones and their capabilities!